Tuesday, May 12, 2009

21st century breakdown


Green Day's new album is another "punk rock opera", maybe even more so than "American Idiot" although less punk feel. The first single Know your enemy has been getting a lot of playtime, and after listening to other tracks it is not a favorite of mine -it isn't bad but other songs are better.

The Album is broken into Three Acts Act I: Heroes and Cons (tracks 2-7) Act II: Charlatans and Saints (tracks 8-13) Act III: Horseshoes and Handgrenades (tracks 14-18)

My first impression is that I need to listen to it again a few more times. There is a lot more to this album than any other they have done. There are a wide range of styles on this record. They seem to flow together fairly well, and because of that I think it is better to devote some time to listen to at least the acts as one, if not the entire album (69 minutes).

I do miss some of the old green day style and humor of their older work on Kerplunk and Dookie. I just felt like something was missing from this record. There was no real stand out moment or song, and I wanted one. I found myself wanting more energy from the album at times - the way green day used to get me pumped up.

I enjoyed it enough to listen again and recommend buying it. My favorite song from this album is "The Static Age" (track 15) Maybe I like it the most because it sounds the most like classic Green Day, but that is not a bad thing. "21 guns" is also pretty good. The third act is by far the best imo, which I guess is good for this style of album.

For additional info I think Steve Kindell of Spin gives a good review.

No comments: